Sunday, November 15, 2009

Brief history of pain



I am a boy playing with dead fish
I hang them from the line where my grandmother
hangs freshly washed clothes
there dry my fish
with tails gripped by the wooden pins
face down dripping the last drops of the sea
that are God's tears
who doesn't exist but it does not matter
because when I am grown
and I wear a uniform
and die in the war
I will have to believe in him
to let the light enter my body
to bear the spilling blood
that will fill my mother's breast with pain.

© photo by Adrian Arias
Translation by Nina Serrano
Nov 2009
part of the unpublished book
“Book looking for where to live”

( en español )

Breve historia del dolor

Soy un niño jugando con peces muertos
los cuelgo del cordel donde mi abuela
cuelga la ropa recién lavada
allí se secan mis peces
con las colas apretadas por los ganchos de madera
boca abajo chorreando las últimas gotas del mar
que son las lágrimas de dios
que no existe pero no importa
porque cuando sea grande
y use el uniforme
y muera en la guerra
tendré que creer en él
para dejar entrar la luz en mi cuerpo
y soportar la sangre derramada
que llenará de dolor el pecho de mi madre.

© Adrian Arias

No comments:

Post a Comment